Twitter Updates

    Follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday 18 November 2009

    Day 9: November 17, 2009

    It's 2107 local time. And I'm in the hotel room in Prague enjoying what I believe to be locally produced seedless grapes. Let me start from our arrival at Prague.


    Unlike Brussels, nothing significant happened to welcome us. But we did meet this Chinese/Taiwanese lady at the train station, about mid 30s (or younger), who had also just arrived in Prague on a solo trip for 5 days. She had no idea about her itineraries, or whatsoever, and kept on repeating she was a tourist. Did we even remotely look like locals to her? If yes, she was so so sadly mistaken.

    The only thing she had was a printed copy of her hotel in Google map. Assuming that she knew we were also tourists, she asked us how to get to her hotel! What?! The thing was she kept approaching tourists to ask for help. Also, when I said, "tourists", I meant Mongoloids. We weren't the first she approached.

    Being nice people that we are(ahem!), we taught her to the best of our knowledge on how to get tickets for metro from the ticket machine. When we told her that the machines seem to only be able to accept coins, she exclaimed in a very Chinese accent, “Oh my God! I don’t have any. How?” Erm, go buy something and get some change, woman! I’ve always thought that Chinese were good with money. How stereotypical of me. This woman just proved me wrong.

    Anyway, enough said. Good luck to her!

    We jumped into the Metro, head to I.P Pavlova (I.P. pronounced as ee-pay) and navigated our way to Miss Sophie's Hostel.

    Tip: Of all the places we went this Eurotrip, if I had to choose one place I liked best, it would be Prague. Because, like I've said, I've been pragued. And if I have to choose my favourite hostel, coincidentally it has to go to the one we stayed in in Prague: Miss Sophie's.
    If ever, no,correction, when ever, I go back to Prague, I won't want to stay anywhere else other than Miss Sophie's.

    NB: I have not been paid to say this ;)

    We left out bags in the room and went out. Although it was already pitch dark, around 1730, we walked towards our planned destination- National museum. Boy, was I glad that we went! On the way, we stopped at Tesco Express along Belehradska and bought a bottle of fruit juice for the journey (as though it was very far). Just down that same road was the National museum.

    That very day was actually a public holiday to commemorate 2 incidences that took place on this very same date, 50 years apart. They called it the Day of a Struggle for Freedom and Democracy. A lot of history there.

    When we reached the museum, the area was all beautifully lighted up for this celebration, with a big crowd gathering in front of a big screen, situated across the street from the entrance of the National museum.

    PB171988

    Above: The National Museum

    PB171998PB171999

    Above: Blending in with the crowd. The bright white light was the big screen, with the National museum as the backdrop.

    At the museum, we bought tickets for a classical concert, scheduled at 1830 in the museum itself. While waiting for time to pass, we bought pizza and sat outside the shop, as we watched the locals came together to commemorate their struggle in the past.

    PB172006

    Above: The interior of the National museum. The main stairway of the central hall, was where the concert was staged. Doesn’t it just take your breath away?

    PB172009

    Above: Our 1st class seats. Cushioned stairs steps.

    PB172008

    PB172004

    PB172014

    Above: Tada! Prague String Soloists Chamber Ensemble. *Applause*

    Below: Just to share the atmosphere of that brilliant night. Here's a shortened video of one of the pieces played- The 4 Seasons- Spring by Vivaldi

    The one hour concert was none stop with famous pieces by great composers, namely J.S. Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Vivaldi, and appropriately ended the concert with their very own Czech composer, Anton Dvorak.

    What a magnificent night! I felt like crying. I felt so “cultured”! *sob*

    PB172020

    Above: The crowd, after our concert.

    On the way back to the hostel, we dropped by Tesco again for some food. That was when I bought the seedless grapes (which I am eating now, as I jot all this down), baguettes and pre-made salad filling with ham and pickle, and bottles of water.

    Back in the hostel, we had our baguettes in the kitchen, which is connected to the TV room, both located in the basement. Very cozy. We went back to our room for a shower and getting ready to bed now.

    Good night, Prague! We’ll be looking forward to see what more you have to offer us tomorrow.

    1 comments:

    rokh said...

    ooo concert sound so fine! i'm gonna put it on my list! :D