Twitter Updates

    Follow me on Twitter

    Thursday 5 November 2009

    Epilogue

    Some time in the month of May 2009, H1N1 influenza started. By June, it was declared as a pandemic and continued to spread. About the same time, and for that very reason, my parents decided that it was not advisable for me and MV to be travelling to Europe in November, as it would be cold and common flu is, well, common at this time of the year. Because this announcement came from the highest authority at the Headquarters in Taiping ( i. e. my parents), all plans came to a total halt.

    That’s when Plan B was deduced. As our only available travel time coincide with Autumn/ Winter, where else will not be cold, or be quite the contrary, other than the land down under? So, all attentions were diverted 10,000 miles away from Plan A. Not much was achieved (fortunately), other than wonderful Couz CH offered her place for us to bunk in Adelaide, meet MV’s sis and boyfriend in Sydney; and my old friend and fiancĂ© in Perth.

    Over the months, the hoo-ha over H1N1 pandemic died down in the news, both locally and in the UK. I took the opportunity of the situation and brought up Plan A to the HQ again. We were still rather adamant to go to Europe as this is the only time we will ever be able to travel for such an extended period before work starts. Mainly because we felt that South East Asia and Australia can always be travelled over a long weekend or so, but not when you have to fly 12 hours to reach a destination. Fortunately, the proposal followed through this time.

    On the fateful night of September 15, 2009, orders were issued from the HQ to London ( where Ko is based ) to execute all necessary arrangements- hostels/hotel, domestic flights and Eurail tickets. Thanks, Ko!

    From my end, I searched around for the cheapest flight tickets from reputable airlines- namely Emirates, Malaysia Airlines and Singapore Airlines. Out of which, the cheapest was Emirates, departing from Singapore Changi Airport. Why not from Kuala Lumpur International Airport? you ask. Well, the ticket difference was RM800 extra to fly from KLIA, as compared to Changi. Why the extra RM800? you ask. Well, it’s because Malaysia Boleh!

    My AirAsia flight from Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT), KL to Changi only cost me RM 112, booked only 4 days before departure. I did not check out MAS ticket price, but I’m sure I can definitely get quite some change back from the RM800.

    After confirming my Emirates flight, there was no turning back. That was exactly why I was very efficient, even though I was having my study break then. With the flight tickets to substantiate Plan A, and knowing that the London quarter was assigned to make the local arrangements, I had to mentally bring myself back from all the daydreaming and concentrate on the determinant. The key factor that decides it all, passing my MBBS.

    So it was laid aside until after the exams. Only then did MV and myself, kick-start our itineraries, based on the locations set out by Ko.

    And the journey began.

    0 comments: